- Event Rental
The Cloisters was bequeathed to the City of Baltimore by its original owners, Sumner A. Parker (1881-1946) and G. Dudrea Parker (1883-1972). Both Mr. and Mrs. Parker were Baltimore natives and graduated from the Johns Hopkins University. After their marriage in 1905, Mr. and Mrs. Parker traveled extensively throughout Europe and the United States collecting art work and artifacts. During these travels, they became enchanted with the medieval architecture of England and France, which provided the inspiration for their summer home, The Cloisters.
The Cloisters sits atop a beautiful hillside in Lutherville in Baltimore County, Maryland surrounded by carefully tended gardens and 60 wooded acres. The house is principally composed of large, random-sized blocks of grey and gold Butler stone, some of which was quarried on the estate and all of which comes from Maryland quarries. The roof, consisting of heavy Butler stone flagstones arranged in an overlapping pattern and secured by iron pins, is the only one of its kind in the United States. The roof’s flagstones are of irregular sizes, approximately one-inch thick and 8-12 inches across.