The first known resident of what is now Patterson Park was Quinton Parker in 1669. At that time, it was possible to navigate a small boat up Harris Creek from the Patapsco River right into Patterson Park. In 1708 the land was conveyed to Nicholas Rogers, and in 1792 William Patterson purchased the 200 acre Harris Creek Rogers estate at auction for $8,500.
Patterson Park HistoryOn Hampstead Hill, the ridge where the Pagoda now stands, Baltimoreans rallied on September 12, 1814 to protect the city from the threat of a British invasion. By water, British troops entered the Patapsco River and bombarded Fort McHenry. By land, they amassed forces at North Point. As they marched on to Baltimore and looked up to Hampstead Hill they saw Rodger’s Bastion – including 100 cannons and 20,000 troops. This sight led the British to return to their ships and leave the Port of Baltimore.